Friday, August 26, 2016

D'You Know Quad I Mean? (and other shite puns)

Freedom of choice and expression is good so I’ll 'exercise' mine…(pun intended) Unless you’ve fallen off a treadmill I probably won’t read a Facebook status update that has anything to do with you and your workout… how far you’ve run, how much you’ve lifted, etc. Congrats to you, but you won't get the positive affirmation you seek from me and by the way while we're on the subject 1) you still have a long way to go and 2)I'll look forward to your post later in the day of you shoveling one of these fuckers in your pie hole: 




SO… this has nothing to do with my exercise routine other than the fact it took place in a gym. See, here's the thing with ol' mr. Peace. I’m only effective in getting off my ass and moving if I have music to listen to while I do it. It’s the difference between me running 3K or 8K (see what I did there? Crafty!) Anyway, I’m at a gym here in Texas called LA FITNESS (that's LA as in Los Angeles not as in 'If I eat enough fromage et baguettes, I will have to workout a lot to achieve la fitness. Follow me? Bien). Everyone has headphones on or earbuds in, doing their thing. Lots of sweat, testosterone and too-tight Lycra (them not me). I'm a bit old school... Adidas old logo only kit and Sambas. Sod the 'Nautilus Quadricep Pumper', it's strictly ropes, a few dumbbells and then I'm hitting the heavy bag. I'm just finishing beating Joe Frasier with a KO in the 3rd in my mind when ‘Columbia’ by Oasis kicks in on my iPod. It’s loud and I realise I’m actually walking around the place with a bit of a ‘Manc swagger’- you know, the subtle ape swing of the arms. The wider stride. Something exactly like this:

 



 It’s funny what music does to you…what memories it brings back and emotions it stirs. I took a look around and thought to myself, ‘Yea, I’m UK cool. I’m a part of this special ‘club’ for those in the know.You bunch of Texan tossers are probably pumping iron listening to Kanye or Drake but me, I was there. Mad fer it. Still am. I fookin own this place, see. I can feel the tension building....It's about to kick off....and then...
 ‘Dancing Queen’ by ABBA came on. 

 So much for ‘Shuffle’ 

 It did remind me though how much I love and miss Oasis. The music that becomes part of not just our playlist but our culture. The off-stage ‘piss and vinegar’ sorely lacking today. Only a few bands, The Pistols, The Libertines have given us that unpredictability in addition to their tremendous music. The tunes and the tension. A feeling that it’s about to 'kick off' at any minute. It almost did in Dallas Texas yesterday in that gym. In my head. 
 And they’d have pulverized me ;)



Peace Out x

No comments:

Post a Comment